Saturday, May 21, 2016

Friday May 20 is the new Friday the 13th

I had great plans for yesterday - including creating  birthday card for a good friend - however the constant threat of "parts run" reared its head.  I really welcomed the opportunity to go to Regina though, because I needed to do a costco run.  The other destinations were Youngs equipment, Waterboy irrigation supplies -BORING!

I managed to get to the city with minimal road rage which is nice.  I really don't mind the 80 km/hr or even the 60 zones as today I had plenty of time.  First stop Youngs Equipment, I pull in at 12:50.  The parts were ordered and had arrived so a quick and easy pickup right? Nope.  I had a small list of bolts and pulley that were not preordered and I had a bad feeling that this would become an issue.  Right.  Parts is always busy, but I noticed today that there were very few men getting parts - the women were obviously on call to get the parts and back to the farm pdq.  Youngs have little niche like areas where a salesman sits by a computer and there is a comfy stool for the customer on the other side.  At each little parts area stood a woman who was asked "Do you know the model number?"  Each of us hung our head in shame as we said no.  Note to self - look at equipment before leaving to get parts for it.

Of course my pulley had to be a make do one as the original no longer existed (we have machinery that was created shortly after the wheel). My parts guy - an extremely pleasant and patient man named Dale - put up with me phoning Murray to discuss what it was he needed.  Dale then searched the computer, a couple of those huge parts books and in the parts bins.  Then phoned the company - who said they would call him back.  All this time I was wondering if I would hold up the process if I excused myself to go to the washroom.  Turns out I could have had certain elective surgeries in the time that it took for this process.  Turns out that Dale and I decided I should go do my other errands and come back to the store by 6:00.  No problem, I would have plenty of time after all it is only 2:15.

But, I am in starvation mode.  I can feel the emptiness through my entire body.  This is a delusion of course as I have enough reserve 'fullness' to see me through an entire week, not just a few hours.  However, I have lunch.  This takes me to 2:45.

 l head to Waterboy, with a list.  Patty and Mary are wonderful (Rene is okay too but kind of a guy).  They have questions so once again I call Murray and he not only answers questions but doubles the order!  The girls ran around, filled the order, put it all in the back of my truck in record time, but still it was now close to 4:00 as I drive off the lot.

I head to Costco, which of course is insanely busy.  I shorten my order by half and get essentials only - clam juice, low cal drinks, and two trays of cherries.  Costco doesn't have the hand lotion Murray needs to keep his stumps healthy or Good Host Ice tea.  These too are essentials and at 4:39 I sigh as I put my stuff in my truck realizing  Walmart is now part of my plan.  After I get cheap Costco gas.  Everyone and his brother is getting cheap costco gas for the long weekend.  After waiting, getting my gas, and pulling out of the lot onto the street it is now 5:05.  Long ways from 6:00, but I better get a move on all the same.

Guess what.  Walmart was crazy busy too.  And they have a greenhouse.  Okay, I will admit it I am an addict, and there is no way I can walk by a greenhouse with huge sale signs flapping in the wind.  I pick up the essentials, and some plants including a really healthy looking patio tomato plant.  I have to move it now so I hustle to my truck - and the wind blows the top of my tomato plant off the plant.  I bite back the tears.  When I get to the truck and open the door one of the cherry trays falls out and spills entirely all over the parking lot.  Those damn things were $11 each so I take the time to pick up each and every cherry.  Whats a little asphalt to oldtimers like ourselves that have already been exposed to a lifetime of carcinogens? Also the wind blew my cheap dracenea right out of their pots and had to be stuffed back into them.  I bet they will be lovely!

I pull out of the lot at 5:35 and storm over to Youngs equipment.  So, I forgot to mention that during my shopping my son called and asked me to pick up a part at Youngs for his friend.  Ten minutes later the friend's wife called and said that a sister in law would pick it up and I didn't need to bother.  I careen into Youngs lot at 5:41 and walk up to the parts guy who looks confused at seeing me.  Not Dale, but his co-worker in the next niche.  He thinks he gave Murray's parts to another lady.  Oh no, I think, the sister in law.  Just then Dale takes a break from his current customer to say that yeah, that happened but he caught the mistake and Murray's parts are in a box on the shelf. I made it.

I drag my now tired and miserable self into my truck and head for home.  At 6:29 I am just at Edgeley when Murray calls and says "What's for supper".   That put me in a pretty bad mood - and his comment that I sure get grouchy when I have to get a few parts did not help it.

At 7:00ish we sat down to A&W pickup food.  I won't bother with the details of A&W, but suffice it to say that it was an appropriate end to a Friday the 13th day.

No comments:

Post a Comment