Friday, September 3, 2010

OMG September!

It is already September 3!  Wow.  Today looks like it could be a nice day, but a nice FALL day.  I really am not that concerned about the weather, but the days pass way faster than I ever remember them doing.  Maybe it is because I am slower than before?  I like fall, but it isn't my favourite time of year.  The colours are pretty, but I like the vibrant green of spring and the white of winter better.  Are those symbols of (re)birth and rest (death?).  What does that say about me?  Is it too early in the day for such introspection?  It certainly is.  But it is never too early for a rant!

I am amazed at the people who worry about the weather.  People who have nothing to do in the weather but get from their house to their car, and then into the office, and then back home again.  How bad can it get?  They fret and worry and carry on about "We didn't get any summer" or "I hate winter" or in the middle of the workday as they sit at their desks procrastinating they will exclaim in utter dismay "It is raining AGAIN".  Well sure it is, but so far your computer is working, so why don't you give that a try?

I refuse to worry about the weather, which is a direct result of loosing sleep over the weather for over 33 years.  When we farmed rain, drought, frost, heat, snow, wind - all of these things could twist me into a knot of worry.  We had several thermometers and were vigilant in checking them, listened to the weather as often as we could (those were the days before the weather channel).  Our children knew to stand away from the TV in reverent silence when the weatherman was on the screen. When we grew strawberries those cool nights of April and May would have me tossing and turning and leaping out of bed to check on the temperature all night long.  I know there was nothing I could do if it did freeze, and a sensible person would have gotten much needed sleep.  But I am just not wired that way. 

Now - I just don't care.  Rain - go ahead.  Drought - no probs.  Freeze - well I will pick off my tomatoes - if I feel like it.  Lots of snow - that is so pretty.  No snow cover - who cares?  Minus 50, plus 30 - its all good.  And there is nothing you can do about it anyway.  I have no vested interest in the weather and I just love it.
 /bye

No comments:

Post a Comment