Thursday, January 6, 2011

Welcome, 2011

I have had quite a long dry spell at blogging.  This does not mean I don't have anything to say - no never that - but that life has been hectic - in a good way.

Christmas, the actual celebration of Christmas, began on Christmas Eve.  The Scottish Cochranes brought Tourtierre and the French Bedels brought perogies to Holly's for a Christmas eve supper.  It was a very pleasant evening of cards with two little girls, who were too young yet to understand the undercurrent of 'na na na na, na na na na, whoaoooaaa, goodbye" but sung lustily anyway.  We are a family of really weird Christmas traditions!

Christmas morning, we had Eggs Benedict at Holly's and followed wave after wave of present opening as a new crew would arrive with their presents for us, our gifts for them etc.  Each new wave was followed by more grazing at the treat table.  Finally we hauled ourselves off to Indian Head to have supper at Sharon's.  She had dishes representing all the major nationalities of the world lined up along her counter and covering her kitchen table.  Just one spoonful of each item and you still could have used another plate to hold it all.  Four kinds of cheesecake finished off the meal.

At this point I decided that I would never ever be hungry again.  And so far, I haven't been!!  I made gravy the other night and had to grip the edge of the counter as I swooned through a flashback of Christmas Dinner.

New Years was very quiet with time for reflection on 2010.  It was a crummy year for most people.  Failing health, failed relationships, failing grades, failing eyesight, failing investments were the norm for family and friends in this awful year.  The brightest spot came late in the year with the arrival of Declan, who continues to brighten the world with his sweet little smiling self - when he isn't screaming like a red faced banshee!!  I am so ready to welcome 2011 - new year new start.  The only resolution one should ever make is to savour the good moments, and hold them in your heart. 

On the other hand, one should count one's blessings.  I was NOT attacked by a bear.  My basement DID NOT flood.  There have NOT BEEN any drive by shootings in my neighbourhood.  So, on the whole life is good. 
/bye

1 comment:

  1. I've heard being attacked by a bear does suck. I am glad you weren't! Happy 2011! Holly

    ReplyDelete