Friday, October 1, 2010

Self Improvement

It would seem that without a plan or even a conscious thought I have embarked upon a regimen of self-improvement/self awareness.  It started out simply enough - I usually aquacize once the classes begin again in the fall, so I signed up.  Then, I had signed up months ago to attend a weekend Rubber Stamp Event (RSE).  What a wonderful concept - an entire 16 hours creating cards with a group of like minded individuals.  How could I say no?? 

In the meantime, an exercise class called "Easy Does It" came up.  It sounded fine - a stretching/strengthening/easing into exercise program for people who are just starting out or starting back into an exercise routine.  Yes, Easy Does It sounded just like what I needed.  It turns out that it is indeed exactly what I need, but tragically, it is seriously misnamed.  I realized that after the first "warm up" exercises when, gasping for air, I discovered that even my earlobes were sweaty.  I would have verbalized that to the instructor, but my vocal chords could not compete with the thunderous pounding of my heart.  And then, I signed up for water coloring classes.  I was more than ready for them, after watching two seasons of Painting Wild Places on PBS each Thursday. 

I had my first watercolor class today, having missed the first one for the RSE, and to my utter delight, I am not really awful!  I am just almost pretty good.  I was behind, and I caught up.  Of course we were just making brushstrokes, curved, arched, straight, fluid....but I made pretty good curved arched etc brushstrokes and was just so pleased not to need oxygen once I was done.  Exploring my artistic side is something that I have left undone for too many years, so finally getting around to it has to be good for me.  Good for my Mental Health.  And not a single sweaty earlobe the entire afternoon.  Hmm, food for thought, can something that enjoyable REALLY be good for me?? 
/bye

No comments:

Post a Comment